15 Beauty Products Every Woman Should Own Before 30
Over the past few months, beauty has become a little obsession of mine. I am constantly on the hunt for the best beauty products out there. I have always had a love for all things beauty related but the fact that I’ll soon be turning 30 years old has got me a little spooked and concerned for the future of my skin.
While I may not be able to turn back the hands of time and stay in my twenties forever, I can at least try to reduce the signs of ageing by adopting good skincare habits and more importantly using good beauty products. Good genes isn’t enough and with so many beauty products out there to choose from, we all need a little help. Here are 15 beauty products every woman should own before 30:
1. Eye Cream – The eyes are the most important when it comes to ageing. Whether it’s the lines under your eyes when you smile, the bags or the tell-tale signs of crow’s feet, you can minimise this with a good under eye cream. Under eye creams are expensive but the price is a small fee to pay if it does what it should. I recently started using Guerlain Super Aqua-Eye Serum which is said to plump the lines under the eyes for a youthful look, R1795 at edgars.co.za.
2. Night Cream – This is important if you want to maintain a youthful glow. After your nigh time routine, slap on a dollop of night cream and let the properties rejuvenate and moisturise while you sleep. Bodyshop’s Drop of Youth Bouncy Sleeping Mask, R300 at the time of purchase, bodyshop.co.za.
3. Primer – If you wear makeup then you MUST own a primer. There are different kinds that can help to moisturise or mattify but the one thing they all have in common is that they help prime your skin, ready for makeup which helps your makeup last a long time without you having to worry about touch-ups. The Inglot Mattifying Under Makeup Base helps my makeup stay on for longer but it doesn’t do much for me in terms of oil control. Inglot Mattifying Under Makeup Base R389, inglotsouthafrica.com.
4. Foundation – Obviously the next step after using your primer on your face. Finding the right foundation for your skin tone and type can be one of the most exhilarating shopping experience of a woman’s life. I am prone to breakouts and use the Clinique 3 step solution so this foundation was recommended to me. It is oil free and offers full coverage but most amazing of all is that its ingredients help treat breakouts. Anti Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup R450, clinique.co.za.
5. Concealer – If you regularly suffer from blackheads, breakouts or redness then you need to add the concealer to your makeup routine. Even if you have perfect skin, you still need a concealer to highlight certain facial features like your forehead, under eye and bridge of your nose. To highlight, you will need a concealer that is a shade or two lighter than your skin tone. Estee Lauder Double Wear, R360, esteelauder.co.za.
6. Press Powder – The press powder is great for a matt finish. Whatever dark spots your foundation and concealer may have missed, the press powder will take care of it. It is perfect for those warmer days (like we have now) when your makeup might want to slide off your face from the heat. Clinique Perfectly Real Compact Makeup, R490, clinique.co.za.
7. Highlighter – Apart from the fact that the highlighter is one of the latest beauty trend, have you seen what it does to one’s face?! It illuminates and makes you looked sun-kissed and gorgeous. I LOVE the highlighter and it looks great on any skin. Mac Mineralize Skinfinish, R390, maccosmetics.co.za.
8. Blush – Blush is a girl’s best friend. Depending on the shade of blush you buy, it can also double up as a contour powder. Mac Blush Powder, R275, maccosmetics.co.za.
9. Mascara – Long, seductive lashes is easily what most women want. I suppose it is why we spend so much money on strip lashes and individual lashes. You can however, take your lashes from barely there to boom in just a few minutes. The right mascara can make you look like you’ve got falsies. The Mac In Extreme Dimension 3D is great for lengthening and creating volume and it won’t clump. R250, maccosmetics.co.za.
10. Lip exfoliator – There is nothing more pleasant than the feeling of soft, kissable lips. Whether your lips are being kissed is another story entirely but you have to care for them. Often times when you speak that’s what people look at. Dry, cracked lips are not attractive so to keep your lips looking perfect, exfoliate them. Wild Olive African Artisans Lip Exfoliator, www.wildolive.eu (price available on request).
11. Nipple cream – Nipple cream is bae! After exfoliating your lips and just before you put on your lipstick, use nipple cream to keep your lips moisturised yet matt. It is like primer for your lips and helps your lipstick last longer. Another use for nipple cream is to help moisturise your hands – they keep mine super soft. Clicks Nipple Cream R31.95, clicks.co.za.
12. Lipstick – Wearing the right shade of lipstick does wonders for one’s self confidence. The nude lip is taking over from the infamous bold, red lip. The nude lip when done well creates a pretty and natural look. Mac Touch Lipstick, R220, maccosmetics.co.za
13. Lip Pencil – What is lipstick without a lip pencil? A lip pencil is like a magic pencil for the lips. It can make your lips appear fuller or smaller. You can also use it on its own or use it to line your lips before you put on lipstick. Did you know that if you own 10 lip pencils and 1 lipstick, you can trick people into thinking you own more than 20 lipsticks – I kid you not! Mac Chestnut lip pencil R210, maccosmetics.co.za.
14. Makeup remover – Washing the makeup off your face can be painful but not if you have a good makeup remover. I use baby wipes and Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water to wipe my face at night and it wipes off so clean and gentle I don’t usually have to wash my face afterwards. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water, R79.95, clicks.co.za.
15. Perfume – Perfume is the ultimate! Unless you are allergic to perfume, every woman should own a bottle or two – one for daytime and one for night time. YSL Black Opium R1540, redsquare.co.za