Hair has always been a ‘thing’ for me. Just like a great outfit, a good hairdo can help to bolster your confidence. When your hair looks good, you feel good and when it doesn’t, you don’t.
Sometime last year, I decided to start wearing wigs instead of weaves. I noticed that relaxing my hair and the strain on my hair from weaves was damaging. Uneven hair, receding hairline and weak ends were just some of my struggles. But since I started wearing wigs, my life has changed for the better. The only thing I have to worry about is the rough Cape Town wind which I often worry will blow my wig right off my head.
Here are 5 reasons why you should wig it:
- The most exciting thing about a wig is the FLEXIBILITY. You can take the wig off at night and let your scalp breathe. And, you can be short today, long tomorrow. Straight today, curly tomorrow. The possibilities are endless!
- Wigs don’t make your scalp ITCH. Those of you who wear weaves know the itch, it is not pleasant! It doesn’t matter if you wash frequently or oil your scalp, the itch is real. There is no itch when you wear a wig.
- Your EDGES GROW. Show me one black woman who doesn’t care about her edges and I’ll call her a liar. No one, male or female wants a receding hairline. The tension from weaves can be damaging to the hairline. With wigs, you can conceal your receding hairline and grow your edges in the process. It’s a win-win situation.
- They are CONVENIENT and perfect for the woman on the go. I have said this many times, I am hair-lazy. I don’t like to put too much effort into styling my hair but I still want it to look good. Wigs are perfect for those hair-lazy moments. First of all, it’s easier to style when it’s not on your head, easier to straighten too. You can also just throw it on your head when you are in a hurry and need to dash.
- Best PROTECTIVE STYLE. Those with 4C hair know a thing or two about protective styles. It is necessary if you want your hair to grow. Wigs are my favourite form of protective style. Those with 4C hair can’t afford to wear their hair in its natural state, all day every day, otherwise it breaks so protective styles are a must. The less you manipulate your hair, the more likely it’ll grow and be healthy.
The best thing about the wig is the fact that you don’t have to worry about leaving your hair out or ‘blending’. I am all about the wig life, it suits my life and my needs.
If you prefer weaves to wigs, leave me a comment and tell me why. 😉
Short bob wig by @Flawlessbeautybar_lekki
Top: Cotton On
Pencil Skirt: Karen Ubani Apparel
Heels: Nine West